If you have missing teeth, a dental bridge can be used to ensure the long-term health of your mouth. Dental bridges are popular options for patients with damaged teeth and for those who are not good candidates for dental implants Dr. Bowyer is a trusted dentist in the Vancouver, WA area who is experienced in dental bridge procedures and can help you determine the best treatment plan for your smile.
Who should consider getting dental bridges?
Bridges are an integral treatment option for individuals with missing teeth. When there is a missing tooth, existing teeth may shift around to fill the space. The result of shifting teeth can affect your bite and place more stress on your remaining teeth and jawbone, often resulting in pain and long-term damage.
Missing teeth also lead to bone deterioration which can add years of age to your facial appearance. Those who do not get care for missing teeth may find that their cheeks droop, cause pouches of skin to appear below the jawline. Other side effects include cracks and sores at the corners of the mouth, and a higher risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
There are other options for missing teeth, such as dental implants and dentures. Dr. Bowyer offers free consultations to help determine the best treatment plan for you specific situation.
What are dental bridges made of?
The false teeth that make up your dental bridge can be made of a variety of different materials, including metal & ceramics. However, most patients opt to choose porcelain teeth as they have the most natural appearance and best blend with natural teeth. Dr. Bowyer can advise you on the best material for you and your mouth.
How long do dental bridges last?
Dental bridges are a long-term permanent solution for missing teeth and can last a long time without replacement especially if good hygiene is maintained. Dental bridges can last anywhere from 5-15 years. However, most patients can expect to get 10 years of use before needing replacement.
What to expect when getting dental bridges?
Expect a few different visits to Dr. Bowyer’s Vancouver office when getting dental bridges.
- Schedule a consultation with Dr. Bowyer to confirm that dental bridges are a good treatment option for you. You can schedule an appointment by calling (360) 253-2640. Our office is conveniently located in Vancouver, WA close to I-205 in Cascade Park.
- Prepare abutment teeth by removing the enamel and dentin, and preparing the teeth for the crown that will eventually help hold the bridge in place.
- Dr. Bowyer will take an impression of your mouth, which will allow the custom bridge, false teeth and crowns to be made for your mouth.
- A temporary bridge will be made to help protect your teeth while your permanent bridge is being made.
- Once your permanent bridge has been made, the temporary bridge will be removed and the permanent bridge will be put into place and adjusted for proper fit.
- Depending on your specific treatment plan, you may have multiple check-ins to ensure the proper fit of the new bridge.
- Once the fit is determined to be working well, the bridge will be cemented into place.
Throughout this process, you may find it more comfortable to stick to eat softer foods. There is typically a short adjustment period where you will need to become accustomed to eating and speaking with the bridge in your mouth. However, eating and speaking with the bridge will ultimately be easier than when you had missing teeth.
I'm interested! What are next steps?
Call our office at (360) 253-2640 to set up your consultation.
Not ready yet? We are happy to answer any questions that you have. Contact Dr. Bowyer to discuss a variety of treatment options to make you more confident in your smile.