Invisalign Braces – Overview
Invisalign is a custom-made, clear aligner that is used to move and straighten your teeth to create a more beautiful smile. Invisalign braces have become popular for patients who want to straighten their teeth without the hassle of metal braces. The clear aligner is customized for the patient from a mold of the patient’s teeth, taken by a certified Invisalign dentist or orthodontist, such as Dr. Bowyer. The aligner is changed every few weeks in order to gently pull the teeth into proper position over time. Invisalign treatment is a non-intrusive method of creating a straighter smile with minimal lifestyle changes.
While many patients choose to pursue Invisalign treatment for cosmetic reasons, straightening your teeth can also provide other dental health benefits. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Bowyer to see if Invisalign is right for you.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Invisalign?
Invisalign is a more comfortable, less visible treatment that works to solve orthodontic issues for many adults and older teens. If you are a participant in contact sports, have a job that requires public speaking, or are simply uncomfortable with the look of metal braces, Invisalign might be a great option for you to straighten your teeth with little disruption to your lifestyle.
Invisalign is typically considered a good option for patients whose teeth have finished growing in and can stick to a regimented schedule of wearing the aligners. There is no exact age where Invisalign becomes an option over metal braces, so the best way to know if this treatment is an option is to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bowyer.
Invisalign can treat moderate to mild instances of:
• Crooked teeth
• Gapped teeth
• Crowded teeth
• Overbite or Underbite
For patients who have more severe instances of the above, it is best to consult with Dr. Bowyer to understand if Invisalign is the right option for you.
Additionally, if you have dental implants, dental bridges or TMJ disorders, there may be complications with Invisalign that you will want to discuss with Dr. Bowyer.
Why Should I Choose Invisalign Instead Of Regular Braces?
The most obvious reason that many patients choose Invisalign over braces is to avoid the metallic appearance associated with traditional braces. While the discretion of clear aligners is appealing, there are other reasons that patients might choose Invisalign.
• Wear Time: Metal braces are glued to the enamel of each of your teeth. As a result, there is no removing the braces for eating, brushing, flossing or special occasions. Metal braces are adhered to your teeth 24 hours a day for the extent of your treatment. Invisalign is most effective when worn 20-22 hours a day, which means that you will be wearing the aligner for most of the time. However, the aligner can also be removed when eating, brushing your teeth or when photos are being taken.
• Comfort: Invisalign does not have any wires or brackets like traditional braces. While with traditional braces, patients may suffer from uncomfortable sores due to the brackets, Invisalign braces are unlikely to create the same issues. While there will still be discomfort when switching to a new aligner, this discomfort can be easily managed, and would occur upon adjustments with traditional braces.
• Sports: In Vancouver it is popular for sports to be played all year-round by children, teens and adults. If you regularly play contact sports, Invisalign may be a good option due to the lack of brackets and wires that could become problematic upon contact with another player or ball.
• Appearance: As mentioned before, a common reason that many patients choose Invisalign is for the less noticeable appearance of the device. While patients could choose tooth-colored brackets and clear bands for traditional braces, Invisalign is a much less noticeable option for straightening teeth. Invisalign is a discreet treatment option for those who have hesitated to get braces for fear of the appearance of metal braces.
What Is The Invisalign Treatment Process?
1. Schedule a consultation. Call (360) 253-2640 to get an appointment with Dr. Bowyer on the books. During this appointment we will discuss your unique treatment options and determine whether you are good candidate for Invisalign.
2. Build your treatment plan. Dr. Bowyer will create a treatment plan based on the severity of your misalignment. This process will involve taking x-rays and impressions of your teeth. From there, we will then predict how your teeth will respond to treatment and will create your first set of Invisalign aligners.
3. Receive your aligners. As each set of aligners is unique to you, it can take a few weeks to receive your first pair. We will receive the aligners in office and bond temporary attachments to your teeth that will help keep the aligners in place. You may have some initial discomfort during the first few days of wearing this set, as your teeth adjust they will become more comfortable.
4. Ongoing treatment. Every two weeks or so, you will be instructed to switch out the aligners that you wear. Each pair will gently move your teeth closer to wear they should be. Check-ups with Dr. Bowyer in his Vancouver office will occur about every 6 weeks, or as needed.
5. Your beautiful smile! Treatment may last anywhere from 6 months to two years. However, stick with wearing the Invisalign braces and you’ll soon be in possession of a great new smile that you can feel confident in. Once Dr. Bowyer has decided that your treatment is complete, the attachments will be removed. Depending on your treatment plan, you will likely be fitted for a retainer that you will wear at night to ensure that your teeth maintain their positioning.
Ready To Take The Next Step?
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Bowyer to see if Invisalign braces are right for you. You can call us at (360) 253-2640, email us at email@example.com, or use the form on this page to request a free consultation.
Learn More About Invisalign
- How Technology is Changing DentistryThe rapid pace of growth when it comes to technology has dramatically changed our daily lives in obvious ways. But you may not be aware of how technology has improved the ability for dentists to care for patient’s dental health. Dr. Bowyer regularly follows advances in technology and dentistry, integrating some of the most promising … Read more
- How to Manage Pain from Invisalign BracesManaging Pain from Invisalign Braces Braces are an incredibly common orthodontic procedure, with an estimated 4.5 million Americans currently wearing braces according to the American Association of Orthodontics. 4 out of 5 of those patients wearing braces are adolescents, which is typically the recommended age for correcting teeth alignment. However, with the rising cost of … Read more
- How Much Do Invisalign Braces Cost In Vancouver, WA?How Much Do Invisalign Braces Cost? When choosing braces, many patients in our Vancouver office opt to get Invisalign braces because of the convenience and aesthetics. Before deciding, many patients ask a very important question: how much do Invisalign braces cost in our area? The short answer is that Invisalign braces can cost anywhere between … Read more
- Choosing A Cosmetic DentistThe process for choosing a cosmetic dentist is very similar to what you might expect when finding a local dentist. However, there are some important distinctions to make. A cosmetic dentist has specialized training and experience to improve the aesthetics of your smile. You want to make sure that you are getting treatment from a … Read more
- Do You Need An Oral Surgeon Or A Dentist?Most people have a good idea of what a dentist does. But not everybody has a good understanding of the procedures performed by an oral surgeon. If you are in need of serious dental work, your dentist may have referred you to an oral surgeon. You might be wondering what the difference is between an … Read more